This course focuses on singing the Ragas done with ease and navigating from one Raga to another. This also includes Raga Pecehan, identification of Raga by listening to the tunes. The highlights of this course are assignments where the student analyses Ragas and the emotions created by each Raga. This is what in fact brings power to music. The mood leads to inspiration for the musician . In this course Chhota Khayal is sung in Raga Alhaiya Bilaval. A Rabindra Sangeet composition based on Bilaval is studied. Raga Bhimpalasi is introduced as a Janya Raga of Raga Kafi. A study of the concept of Thaat and how Thaat generates Ragas is done. All the Raga characteristics are reviewed.
Batch Size: 3
Duration: 12 weeks, one 45 mins lesson per week
- Gain mastery over switching Ragas
- Evaluate the mood created by the Raga rendition
- Understand the concept of Thaats and how they generate Ragas
- Learn Chhota Khayal with Swar Vistar, Aalap and Taan in Raga Alhaiya Bilaval.
- Study a Rabindra Sangeet composition
- Learn the basics of Raga Bhimpalasi along with a Chhota Khayal Bandish.
- Create a sargam Geet/Swarmalika blending two Ragas.
The student should have completed HV106 from the academy ‘OR’ the student should be able to: • Perform Chhota Khayal with self-created Aalap and Taan in at least 4 Ragas along with SwaraVistar • Sing a Tarana in any Raga and should be able to create Alankar patterns and sing them, compose and sing a Swar Maalika and Tarana • recite Teentaal and Jhaptaal fluently and should be able to sing a Bhajan.
- Aaroh -Avaroh of Ragas
- Key Swara Jodis and Swara Samoohas in Ragas
- Pakad, the Mukhya Ang
Raga Alhaiya Bilaval
- Thaat , a system of classification of Ragas
- Ten Thaat
- How Thaat generates Raga
- Janak Thaat, Aashray Raag, Janya Raag.
Rabindra Sangeet composition
- Introduction to Alhaiya Bilaval
- Model Swar Vistar in Alhaiya Bilaval
- Chhota Khayal in Alhaiya Bilaval
- Model Aalap in Alhaiya Bilaval
- Model Taan in Alhaiya Bilaval
Introduction to Raga Bhimpalasi
- Rabindra Sangeet
- Rabindra Sangeet composition
- Aaroh Avaroh of Bhimpalasi
- Raga charactistics of Bhimpalasi
- Bhimpalasi a Janya of Kafi
- Other Janya ragas of Kafi
- Chhota Khayal in Bhimpalasi
- Vadi , Samvadi, Anuvadi, Vivadi
- Jati Audav, Shadav, Sampoorna
- Gayan Samay
- Varjya Swaras
- Emotions and Ragas
At the completion of HV107, the student will be able to:
- Switch Aaroh Avaroh with Alankar patterns of at least three Ragas fluently
- Listen to an Aalap and identify the Raga in which it is sung
- Express the mood created by each of these Ragas while performing
- Create a grid for every Raga and fill in the Raga characteristics
- Perform complete Chhota Khayal with Swar Vistar, in Raga Alhaiya Bilaval
- Sing a Rabindra Sangeet composition
- Perform Raga Bhimpasi Alankars and Chhota Khayal
- Identify Ashray Ragas and Janya Ragas among the Ragas learnt.
- Present the self created Sargamgeet using two Ragas