The student will continue to explore learning the important compositional form of Varnam in different Ragas. This course introduces the student to learn the varnams in Ragas Kalyani and Hamsadhwani - one Sampoorna Prathi Madhyama Raga and another Janya Suddha Madhyama Raga. The Varnam will be practiced in the first and second speeds.
A popular composition of Maharaja Swathi Thirunal, in the Raga Mayamalavagowla is also introduced - Deva Deva Kalaymi in Roopaka Talam.
This course is an important stepping stone to also taking up the Ri level exam that makes the student ready to transition into next phase of learning in the intermediate series. The student will also spend sometime in preparing for the Ri level exam and revising earlier learnt lessons.
Batch Size: 1
Duration: 12 weeks, one 45 mins lesson per week
1. Learn the Kalyani Varnam - Vanajakshi in first and second speed. Sing it with the Tala and correct swarasthanas.
2. Do a practice of some basic varisais in the Raga Kalyani and learn simple phrases in Raga Kalyani
3. Learn the Hamsadhwani varnam - Jalajaksha in first and second speed. Sing it with the Tala and correct swarasthanas.
4. Do a practice of some basic varisais in the Raga Hamsadhwani and learn simple phrases in Raga Kalyani
5. Learn a krithi in Raga Mayamalavagowla- a composition of Swathi thirunal. Present it with Tala and proper creative endings. Understanding "edupus" correctly
6. Revise for the Ri Level exam and be prepared with all lessons
Basics of Carnatic music (Sarali, Janta, Dhati varisais), Familiarity with the sapta tala Alankarams. Should know more than 4 geethams and also basic Swarajathis - Khamas, Bilahari and Ananda Bhairavi.Student should also know 2 lakshana geethams and atleast 4 varnams. Student should also be familiar with and be able to identify the ragams. Should be able to sing the basic exercises in different ragas. The student should know the Scales ( arohana and avarohana ) of all ragams.
By the end of the course -
1. The student must be able to sing simple phrases in raga kalyani and hamsadhwani and understand the difference between suddha and prathi madhyama
2. Present the varnam well with tala in the first speed
3. Be prepared with lessons from previous courses for the Ri Level exam
4. Understand the krithi format effectively and present the Pallavi, Anupallavi and Charanam with basic sangathis and endings.