This course , the first in the Raga Deep Dive provides an insight into Raga Yaman. Hindusthani classical music, the Ragdhari Sangeet is the music of improvisation within the perview of the Raga. Singing a Raga is much more than just making permutations and combinations with Swaras. It involves a keen sense of understanding the persona that every Raga has. This course introduces the student to the exploration of Raga in the form Bada Khayal, which is meditative, the medium tempo Chhota Khayal along with the more popular compositions like Bhajans. Emphasis is on creativity(Alaap,Taan) and Swara Sadhana(which includes voice training and voice culture).
- To do Swar Sadhana with Shuddh Swearas as well as Yaman Swaras.
- To study the Raga Roop of Yaman.
- To sing various Swara patterns in Yaman.
- To learn a Bada Khayal with development in Yaman.
- To learn Chhota Khayal with improvisation within Teentaal.
- To learn a Tarana in Yaman.
- To articulate different expressions in Raga Yaman.
- Understand Raga Yaman in different generes like semiclassical and world music.
- The student is able to set a practice routine for oneself with differnt Swara exercises for voice culture
- The student sings Swara patterns in Yaman fluently in different Layas
- The student is able to do patterning maintaining the aesthetics of the Raga
- The student sings the Swar Vistar and Aalap in Yaman
- The student is able to present a Bada Khayal with development
- The student is able to present a Chhota Khayal with improvisation
- The student is able to present the Tarana
- The student is able to identify Yaman in differnt forms of music and develops appreciation
The student needs to have completed HV108 at the academy OR the student needs to have the following skills- Alankar singing in different rhythm patterns.Ability to distiguish and sing Shudh, Komal and Tivra Swaras.Good sense of Laya and Taal. Student has learnt Chhota Khayal in at least 10 Ragas including Yaman with basic improvisattion.
Swara Patterns in Raga Yaman
- Vowel souds- Aakar, I Kaar etc.
- Yaman Swaras
- Rhythms of twos,threes
- Rhythms of fives, sevens
- Progression of Swaras
- Creating Swara Vistar with Swaras
- Singing in Swara as well as Aakar
- Movement in all three Sapthaks
Sur and Taal
- Chhota Khayal Bandish
- Aalap in Madhalay teentaal
- Taan in Madhyalay Teentaal
- Bada Khayal Bandish
- Aalap in Vilambit Ektaal
- Tarana Bandish
- Improvisation in Nom Tom
- Taan Drut Teentaal
- Film Music
- World Music